Author Shelves with links to online articles and resources:
- Ackoff, Russell L. Creating the Corporate Future, 1981.
Presents a participative systems approach to interactive planning. Describes how to formulate the system of problems and opportunities that face a corporation. Explains how to formulate goals, objectives and ideas, and how to select and evaluate the means by which they should be pursued.
- Ackoff, Russell. The Art of Problem Solving Accompanied by Ackoff's Fables. 1987, John Wiley & Sons.
Shows how to develop an understanding of the art of creative thinking and design creative solutions. Based on real problems faced by real managers.
- Ackoff, Russell L. The Democratic Corporation: A Radical Prescription for Recreating Corporate America and Rediscovering Success, 1994.
- Adams, Scott. The Dilbert Principle: A Cubicle's - Eye View of Bosses, Meetings, Management Fads & Other Workplace Afflictions, 1996. (audio tape).
- Aguayo, Rafael Dr. Deming: The American Who Taught the Japanese About Quality, 1991.
- Belasco, James A. Teaching the Elephant to Dance: The Manager's Guide to Empowering Change, 1991.
- Barker, Joel A. Paradigms: The Business of Discovering the Future, 1993. (Hardcover first edition, Future Edge: Discovering the New Paradigms of Success, 1992).
- Block, Peter. Stewardship: Choosing Service over Self-Interest, 1996. (audio tape)
- Bohm, David and Lee Nichol (Editor). On Dialogue, 1996. The question of how to communicate better is at the heart of On Dialogue, the most comprehensive documentation to date of the late David Bohm's dialogical world view.
- Bohm, David. Thought As a System, 1994.
- Bohm, David. Unfolding Meaning: A Weekend of Dialogue With David Bohm, 1996.
- Box, George, William Hunter and Stu Hunter. Statistics for Experimenters. 1978, John Wiley and Sons.
- Brassard, Michael. The Memory Jogger Plus+, 1989. Features the Seven Management and Planning Tools (affinity diagrams, interrelationship diagraphs, tree diagrams, prioritization matrices, matrix diagrams, process decision program charts and activity network diagrams).
- Cotter, Maury and Daniel Seymour. Kidgets: And Other Insightful Stories About Quality in Education, 1993.
- Cotter, Maury and Cheaney. Real People Real Work, 1991.
- Couper, David and Sabine Lobitz. Quality Policing: The Madison Experience, 1991. David Couper was the chief of police in Madison, Wisconsin for over 20 years.
- Covey, Steven R., A. Roger Merrill and Rebecca R. Merrill. First Things First: To Live, to Love, to Learn, to Leave a Legacy, 1996. (Hardcover) (audio tape)
Provides a revolutionary guide to managing your time by learning how to balance your life. Offers a principle-centered approach that will transform the quality of everything you do by showing how it involves the need to live, to love, to learn, and to leave a legacy. Encourages the reader to define what is truly important; to accomplish worthwhile goals; and to lead a rich, rewarding, and balanced life.
- Covey, Steven R. Principle-Centered Leadership, 1992. (Hardcover) (audio tape)
- The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People: Restoring the Character Ethic by Stephen R. Covey, 1990. (hardcover) (audio tape)
- Csikszentmihalyi, Mihaly. Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience,1991. People enter a flow state when they are fully absorbed in activity during which they lose their sense of time and have feelings of great satisfaction. The author, a pioneer in this astonishing field of study, clearly explains the principles of "flow" and shows how it can be introduced into every level of life. (audio tape)
- Csikszentmihalyi, Mihaly. Creativity: Flow and the Psychology of Discovery and Invention, 1997. Drawing on hundreds of interviews with exceptional people, from biologists and physicists to politicians and business leaders to poets and artists, the author uses his famous "flow" theory to explain the creative process. Csikszentmihalyi's objective is to offer readers an understanding of what leads to creative moments so that they can use that knowledge to enrich their own lives.
- DeBono, Edward. Lateral Thinking: Creativity Step-By-Step, 1990.
- DeBono, Edward. Six Thinking Hats, 1986.
- Delavigne, Ken and Dan Robertson. Deming's Profound Changes - When will the Sleeping Giant Awaken?, 1994. details
- Deming, W. Edwards. The New Economics for Industry, Government, and Education, 1995. Second Edition.
- Deming, W. Edwards. Out of the Crisis, 1986.
More Books by W. Edwards Deming
- Depree, Max. Leadership is an Art, 1990.
- Dobbyns, Lloyd and Clare Crawford Mason. Quality or Else, 1991.
- Dobbyns, Lloyd and Clare Crawford Mason. Thinking About Quality: Progress, Wisdom and the Deming Philosophy, 1994.
- Drucker , Peter F. The Executive in Action: Managing for Results, Innovation and Entrepreneurship, the Effective Executive, 1996.
- Drucker , Peter F. Managing for the Future: The 1990s and Beyond, 1993. (audio tape) (hardcover)
- Drucker , Peter F. The Frontiers of Management: Where Tomorrows Decisions Are Being Shaped Today, 1987.
- Feigenbaum, Armand V. Total Quality Control 3rd Rev Edition, 1991.
- Forrester, Jay W. Collected Papers of Jay W. Forrester, 1975. Fairly complex. Jay Forrester is Peter Senge's Mentor. We only recommend this who are familiar with Dr. Forrester's writing.
- Fritz, Robert. The Path of Least Resistance: Learning to Become the Creative Force in Your Own Life, 1989.
Demonstrates how individuals can harness their creative potential to produce the results they truly desire. Details how to form new structures that will enable you to direct the path of least resistance to where you want to go.
- Fuller, Buckminster R. Critical Path, 1982.
- Gabor, Andrea. The Man Who Discovered Quality. 1990, Random House.
Traces the effects of Deming's ideas on quality in three major companies: Ford, Xerox and General Motors. Discusses Deming's influence in Japan. Describes the principles and the vision and how this philosophy is galvanizing America's leading companies.
- Gitlow, Howard and Shelly. The Deming Guide to Quality and Competitive Position. 1987.
Presents Dr. Deming's 14 points for management, questions for self-examination, ideas for action, and potential pitfalls.
- Gitlow, Howard. Planning for Quality, Productivity, and Competitive Position, 1990.
- Goldratt, Eliyahu M. The Goal: A Process of Ongoing Improvement, 1994. (audio tape)
This book on the new global principles of manufacturing is actually a riveting novel in disguise. In the process the characters deduce some basic principles which they use to save their plant and make it successful.
- Greenleaf, Robert K. Servant Leadership: A Journey into the Nature of Legitimate Power and Greatness, 1993.
- Grove, Andrew S. High Output Management, 1995.
Andrew Grove is President of Intel, the leading manufacturer of computer chips worldwide.
- Imai, Masaaki. Gemba Kaizen: A Commonsense, Low-Cost Approach to Management, 1997.
- Imai, Masaaki. Kaizen: The Key to Japan's Competitive Success. 1986.
Describes Kaizen, "little things better", gradual, unending improvement, setting and achieving of ever higher standards, continually improving. Shows how to adapt manufacturing processes quickly to changing customer and market requirements and incorporating gradual never ending improvements company-wide.
- Ishikawa, Kaoru. What is Total Quality Control. 1985, 1991. (Hardcover - 1988)
- Jaworski, Joseph Betty S. Flowers (Editor), [Peter Senge -Introduction] Synchronicity: The Inner Path of Leadership, 1996.
- Joiner, Brian. Fourth Generation Management, 1994.
An excellent book for those who wish to begin the transformation to "Fourth Generation Management" and for the experienced as well. We recommend you start with this well written and easy to follow book.
- Juran, Joseph M. and A. Blanton Godfrey. Managerial Breakthrough: The Classic Book on Improving Management Performance/30th Anniversary Edition, 1995.
- Juran, Joseph M., Editor, A History of Managing for Quality: The Evolution, Trends, and Future Directions of Managing for Quality, 1995.
- Juran, Joseph M. Juran on Leadership for Quality: An Executive Handbook, 1989.
- Juran J.M. and Frank Gryna, Editors. Juran's Quality Control Handbook. Fourth Edition 1988, McGraw Hill. 5th Edition by by Joseph M. Juran and A. Blanford Godfrey (1872 pages), 1998.
- Kilian, Cecelia. The World of W. Edwards Deming, Second Edition, 1992, SPC Press.
- Kohn, Alfie. Punished By Rewards: The Trouble With Gold Stars, Incentive Plans, A's, Praise, and Other Bribes. ©1993, 1995.
- Kohn, Alfie. No Contest - The Case Against Competition, ©1986, 1992.
- Kohn, Alfie. Beyond Discipline: From Compliance to Community, 1996.
- Kohn, Alfie. The Brighter Side of Human Nature: Altruism and Empathy in Everyday Life, 1992.
- Kohn, Alfie (Editor). Education Inc.: Turning Learning into a Business, 1997.
- Kume, Hitoshi. Statistical Methods for Quality Improvement, 1985.
- Langford, David and Beverly Cleary. Orchestrating Learning With Quality, 1995.
- Langley, Gerald J., Kevin M. Nolan (Editor), Thomas W. Nolan, Lloyd P. Provost and Clifford L. Norman. The Improvement Guide: A Practical Approach to Enhancing Organizational Performance 1996.
- Latzko, William J. and David M. Saunders. Four Days with Dr. Deming, 1995.
- Main, Jeremy. Quality Wars: The Triumphs and Defeats of American Business, 1994.
- McGregor, Douglas. Human Side of Enterprise: 25th Anniversary Printing, 1985.
- Moen, Ronald D., Thomas W. Nolan and Lloyd P. Provost. Quality Improvement Through Planned Experimentation, 2nd Edition, 1998.
First Edition, 1991. details
- Nadler, Gerald and Shozo Hibino Breakthrough Thinking, 1994.
- Nadler, Gerald, Shozo Hibino and John Farrell. Creative Solution Finding: The Triumph of Full- Spectrum Creativity over Conventional Thinking, 1994.
- Neave, Henry R. The Deming Dimension. 1990, SPC Press.
- Pirsig, Robert M. Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry into Values, 1974, 1995 (10th printing). (Hardcover - 1974) (audio tape)
- Roberts, Harry V. Quality Is Personal: A Foundation for Total Quality Management, 1993.
- Ryan, Kathleen D. and Daniel K. Oestreich. Driving Fear Out of the Workplace: How to Overcome the Invisible Barriers to Quality, Productivity, and Innovation, 1991. (Hardcover)
- Ryan Kathleen D., Daniel K. Oestreich and George A. Orr. The Courageous Messenger: How to Successfully Speak Up at Work, 1996
- Scherkenbach, William W. The Deming Route To Quality and Productivity: Road Maps and Roadblocks. 1986.
- Scherkenbach, William W. Deming's Road to Continual Improvement, 1991.
- Scholtes, Peter R. The Leader's Handbook: Making Things Happen, Getting Things Done, 1998. details
- Scholtes, Peter R. et. al. The Team Handbook, Second Edition, 1996
Team Handbook for Educators, 1994.
Team Handbook in Spanish, 1992.
Team Handbook in French, 1992.
- Schumacher, E. F. Small is Beautiful: Economics As If People Mattered, 1989.
In memory of my father, Bill Hunter. Statistics for Experimenters, by George Box, William Hunter and Stu Hunter begins with a quote from Small is Beautiful.
- Senge, Peter M. The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of The Learning Organization. 1990, Doubleday. (Hardcover) (Cassette Tapes)
- Senge, Roberts, Ross, Smith and Kleiner The Fifth Discipline Fieldbook: Strategies and Tools for Building a Learning Organization, 1994.
- Shewhart, Walter. Statistical Method from the Viewpoint of Quality Control. 1939, reprinted 1986.
- Shewhart, Walter. The Economic Control of Quality of Manufactured Products, 1931, reprinted 1980.
- Taylor, Frederick W. The Principles of Scientific Management, 1967. Read what Taylor said in his own words.
- Walton, Mary. Deming Management at Work, 1990.
- Walton, Mary. The Deming Management Method, 1986.
- Wheatley, Margaret J. and Myron Kellner-Rogers. A Simpler Way, 1996. (audio tape)
- Wheatley, Margaret J. Leadership and the New Science. 1993, Berrett-Koehler Publishers. (Hardcover) (audio tape)
- Wheeler, Donald J. Building Continual Improvement: A Service Industry Guide. 1998, SPC Press.
- Wheeler, Donald J. Understanding Variation: The Key to Managing Chaos, 1993. details
- Wheeler, Donald J. and David Chambers. Understanding Statistical Process Control, 2nd Edition - 1991 .
- Japanese Control Chart by Donald J. Wheeler, SPC Press, 1986.
- Whitney, John O. The Trust Factor, 1994.
- Womack, James P., Daniel T. Jones and Daniel Roos. The Machine That Changed the World: The Story of Lean Production, 1991.
- Zuckerman, Marilyn R. and Lewis J. Hatala Incredibly American: Releasing the Heart of Quality, 1992.