Alfie Kohn is one the leaders in this area. View Alfie Kohn's recommendations and make your purchases online.
Required reading for the learning and education area
- Punished By Rewards: The Trouble With Gold Stars, Incentive Plans, A's, Praise, and Other Bribes by Alfie Kohn, ©1993, 1995, 1999.
- No Contest - The Case Against Competition by Alfie Kohn, ©1986, 1992.
- The Case Against Standardized Testing: Raising the Scores, Ruining the Schools by Alfie Kohn, 2000.
- The Schools Our Children Deserve: Moving Beyond Traditional Classrooms and 'Tougher Standards' by Alfie Kohn, 1999. Continuing the tradition of John Dewey and Jean Piaget, Alfie Kohn makes the case for a different approach to education. Excellent for those working to improve the education system. Also good for managers with an advanced understanding of quality.
- Langford, David and Beverly Cleary. Orchestrating Learning With Quality, 1995.
- Cotter, Maury and Daniel Seymour. Kidgets: And Other Insightful Stories About Quality in Education, 1993.
- Joiner, Brian. Fourth Generation Management, 1994. An excellent book for those who wish to begin the transformation to "Fourth Generation Management" and for the experienced as well. We recommend you start with this well written and easy to follow book. Not focused on education.
- Kohn, Alfie. Beyond Discipline: From Compliance to Community, 1996. Read Chapter one (and more) online now.
- Kohn, Alfie (Editor). Education Inc.: Turning Learning into a Business, 1997.
- Schools That Learn by Peter M. Senge (Editor), Nelda H. Cambron McCabe, Timothy Lucas, Art Kleiner, Janis Dutton and Bryan Smith, 2000.
More excellent books
- Dewey, John. John Dewey on Education, 1983.
- Feuerstein, Reuven, Yaacov Rand and John E. Rynders. Don't Accept Me As I Am : Helping Retarded People to Excel, 1988.
- Jenkins, Lee. Improving Student Learning: Applying Deming's Quality Principles in Classrooms, 1996.
- Kohn, Alfie. The Brighter Side of Human Nature: Altruism and Empathy in Everyday Life, 1992.
- Wood, George H. Public Education Programs, 1993.